This gloriously refreshing salad proved to be pretty popular with the carnivores on a recent holiday with friends and family. There are undoubtedly a number of versions of this classic combination, but I like to team my feta and watermelon with peppery rocket leaves and lime spiked slivers of red onion. If I have some fresh mint, I’ll use it as a garnish. Coriander is also nice as is a dusting of lime zest.
In addition to being speedy to prepare, the great thing about this salad is you don’t have to be prescriptive on the amounts; if you like red onion, then go for it. Personally I plump for a little more watermelon than feta but do whatever suits you. And if you don’t fancy rocket then any other salad leaves work well – I tend to go for the darker green ones, such as lambs lettuce which contrasts well with both the cheese and melon. You don’t have to stick to unadulterated, extra virgin olive oil either for the dressing – walnut, lemon or even a bit of chilli oil are nice for a change. Chunk the salad up with toasted pecans and/or pumpkin seeds and for more substantial lunch, pair with quinoa or cous-cous.
- Whilst on holiday, this salad was consumed with a fair bit of ColleMassari’s Grottolo Rosato; try with another fruity Rose such as Sainsbury’s Rose Les Caillottes.
- You could also try a Sauvignon Blanc – not the ‘green’, intensely gooseberry variety, but a more balanced, tropical fruit tanged example like Ocado’s Quintay Sauvignon Blanc from Chile.
Ingredients (serves 6)
400g feta cheese
½-1 medium red onion
60g bag of rocket
Mint and/or coriander leaves to garnish
1 garlic clove – crushed
1 lemon/lime – juiced
1-1 ½ tbsp oil
2 tsps apple cider vinegar
- Slice the red onion as finely as possible; use a mandolin if you have one.
- Zest the lime and leave it to one side. Squeeze the lime over the red onion.
- Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together; taste for seasoning.
- When you wish to serve the salad, cut the watermelon and feta into similar sized pieces and place in a salad bowl along with the rocket and red onions.
- Pour the dressing over and garnish with lime zest, shredded mint and coriander if using.