This is a gutsy, savoury wine for a “get-me-through-the-week” night. If you like trying different style of wines from a variety of different regions, then give this a go. Make sure you open the bottle well before drinking, an hour if possible, as we noticed this wine mellowing quite a bit in the glass.
There’s not much of a nose, but in the mouth, there is definitely a smack of blackcurrants and some softer red fruit, maybe cherries and plum. Chewy tannins complement the smoky, herby notes, making it a good wine to have with something rustic or try with Grecian or Middle Eastern flavours such as Roasted Vegetables with Quinoa & Moutabel (but hold fire on the chilli).
At a glance:
- Style? Full bodied red wine
- Where is it from? Nemea, Greece
- What’s the grape? Agiorgitiko
- Tastes of? Blackcurrants, hints of cherry and herbs
- What should I eat with it? Chunky comfort food: pasta, grains with a tomato based sauce