Everyone needs a little sparkle at Christmas, and here’s my current favourite. It’s a sparkling Burgundy, made with Chardonnay – akin to Blanc de Blanc Champagnes (a term used to describe sparkling wine made exclusively with white grapes, as opposed to the classic Champagne blend of Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier).
Unlike Champagne, this moreish fizz won’t break the bank especially when you take advantage of the current offer from Ocado. The wine is elegant and fresh – orchard fruit with a bit of citrus – and the bubbles are lively and not too coarse. It has a decent amount of body: quite rich with a creamy finish.
At a glance:
- Style? Sparkling white wine
- Where is it from? Burgundy, France
- What’s the grape? Chardonnay
- Tastes of? Orchard fruit, a bit of grapefruit and a slightly creamy finish
- What food would complement it? On its own or with canapés such as Involtini