This make ahead or make-in-10 minutes muesli should keep you going all week. My children love dried apricots, cranberries and pecans but feel free to vary the basic recipe with the fruit, nuts and seeds of your choice – adding more or less as you see fit. If you are gluten free, check out your local health food for gluten free jumbo oats.
I’ve toasted everything in large frying pans for speed but you can gently roast the porridge oats in the oven on 150/170 degrees (fan/conventional) for about 15 minutes before adding the coconut nut oil and orange juice mix if you are in less of a hurry.
300g jumbo gluten-free/convention oats
120g dried apricots – roughly chopped
150-200g mixed raisins/sultanas/cranberries etc
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 tbsp coconut oil
100g sunflower/pumpkin seeds
Juice of 1 orange
100g coconut flakes
50g chia seeds
- Toast the nuts in a dry frying pan over a low heat for about 5 minutes or alternatively roast (dry) in the oven at 180/200 degrees fan/conventional for 10 minutes. Transfer into a plastic bag and use a heavy object such as a rolling pin to crush into smaller bite sized pieces if you like.
- Meanwhile, mix the cinnamon with the jumbo oats and dry fry them over a low heat, stirring regularly.
- In a small saucepan gently heat the orange juice and dried fruit; bring to a simmer then remove from the heat. Add the coconut oil.
- Stir in the sunflower/pumpkin seeds, chia and coconut flakes if using and finally the dried fruit mixture once the coconut oil has melted.
- Leave the muesli to cool before storing in an airtight jar.